Waste Management Transportation Manager in WHITMORE LAKE, Michigan
Title: Transportation Manager
Location: United States-Michigan-Whitmore Lake
Job Number: 18005942
Equal Opportunity Employer:Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leadingprovider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North America. Weare strongly committed to a foundation of operating excellence, professionalismand financial strength. WM serves nearly 25 million customers inresidential, commercial, industrial and municipal markets throughout NorthAmerica through a network of collection operations, transfer stations,landfills, recycling facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
We are looking for a leader who knows how to engage and motivateyour team to drive the Company’s goals. This leader will join ateam of hard-driving professionals that makes Waste Management #1 in theindustry.
Hopefully you arenot just a behind-the-desk person. In this position, you will be in theoffice for about 20% of the time, 60% in the field with the drivers andcustomers, and 20% in the yard managing the pre and post trip process.
I. Job Summary
As a member of our team, you will manage drivers and will beresponsible for all aspects of your line of business. Some of yourresponsibilities include hiring, coaching and training your drivers, keepingthe culture of Safety, working with our Dispatch and Customer Service teams inMichigan for routing and ensuring your customers are receiving a high level ofservice, managing to the metrics, and working together with with your teamwhich includes a District Manager, Route Managers, Operations Specialist andthe Fleet Manager to make your District a successful part of WasteManagement.
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, you will need to perform eachessential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may beassigned. Some of these duties are:
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to accomplish activities. Coordinates daily operational needs with Maintenance team.
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and agreements.
- Manages the end-of-day check-in process including post trip quality, capturing and communicating key service, safety, and equipment issues.
- Ensure compliance with DOT and OSHA rules and regulations including documentation and record keeping.
- Reviews weekly demand / volume for routes, determines potential gains from re-routing, and recommends re-routes to the routing specialist.
- Sets and monitors productivity, service, and safety targets for each route and driver.
- Promotes a union free atmosphere and where appropriate, establishes collaborative relations with unions.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
- Conducts Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Visits customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve safety issues, seeking service alternatives where appropriate.
- Teams with Dispatch and Customer Service to identify and resolve routing and customer service issues
- Communicates and follows-up on sales opportunities, problems at customer site, DVIR repairs, container swaps, and safety issues reported by drivers.
- Whatever else needed to ensure a successful, ethical, and safe company.
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has supervisory responsibilities for Drivers assigned tothe position. This includes responsibility for employee performancereviews and feedback, scheduling time off, employee grievances or complaints,pay changes and job responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of thequalifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Required: Associate's Degree (accredited) or in lieu of degree, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and 2 years of relevant work experience.
- Education Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Transportation, Logistics, Operations, Business Management.
- Experience: No experience required (in addition to education requirement).
- Experience Preferred: One or more years of transportation experience involving managing and successfully coaching CDL drivers.
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or OtherRequirements
- Valid driver's license and good driving record.
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Preferred
- Intermediate level of technical expertise in using computerprograms, and creating and analyzing reports.
- Strong coaching skills
- Ability to engage drivers and develop talent
- Proven ability to create collaborative relationships with allinvolved departments
- Direct management/supervision of drivers
- Strong communication skills and strong listening skills.
- Good analytical skills and previous experience managing tometrics.
- Proven ability to drive results
- Safety focused
- Working knowledge of DOT rules and regulations
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands andwork environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made toenable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of thejob.
Normal setting for this job is:office setting and/orlandfill/outdoor.
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitivetotal compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insuranceand Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Companymatch on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation,Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been lookingfor, please click "Apply.” Text “WASTE” to 51893 to join our team (or learn more)
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Frontline Professional