Waste Management Operations Manager, Waste Collection in ONTARIO, Canada
Title: Operations Manager, Waste Collection
Location: Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek
Job Number: 18005702
WM is seeking a Route Manager for our Hamilton site to oversee the Commercial/Industrial collection operations for the region. This position is responsible for the day-to-day management of 20-25 unionized Drivers, including organizing, directing and controlling the activities to ensure safe and timely collection of materials, consistent with the local business plan and customer contractual requirements.
• Sets and monitors productivity, service and safety targets for each route and driver.
• Plans, distributes, monitors and follows up daily route assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards and agreements.
• Morning roll-out of drivers ensuring pre-trips are conducted accurately and routing questions are addressed. Conducts weekly safety meetings to address key safety items/recent incidents.
• Promotes a cooperative atmosphere and where appropriate, establishes collaborative relations with the union. Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and labor relations issues.
• Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to accomplish activities; coordinating daily operational needs with Maintenance team.
• Conducts Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
• Ensures that drivers comply with physicals, drug/alcohol tests and training required by regulatory agencies and compliance with WM policies and procedures by conducting monthly ride-along/OBA’s with drivers.
• Visits customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve safety issues, seeking service alternatives where appropriate.
• Documents problem fixes and provides instructions to dispatch/service should problems recur.
• Reviews weekly demand/volume for routes, determines potential gains from re-routing and recommends re-routes to the routing specialist.
• Conducts quarterly employee performance reviews, provides feedback, approves/schedules time off and acquires and coordinates temporary workers assigned to assist drivers on routes.
What It Takes...
• Supervisory experience within a transportation/logistics environment.
• Working knowledge of unionized environments; strong ability to manage employee/labour relation issues; progressive discipline processes.
• Strong communication skills and demonstrated leadership skills; ability to coach, mentor and train employees.
• Strong problem solving skills and organizational skills
• Willing and able to work with others as part of a team to achieve common goals.
• Experience managing health & safety responsibilities and involvement with JHSC's
• Completion of High School/GED and 4 years transportation operations experience.
• G class drivers licence required. DZ licence would be an asset, but is not required.
Why Waste Management...
As North America’s largest residential recycler, Waste Management is driven by a commitment to excellence and leadership. We provide real opportunities for career growth while making a difference in the communities we serve.
If you are ready for a career opportunity with a company whose real goals, values and initiatives match yours – we invite you to visit us at www.wmcareers.com to learn even more about this and other opportunities with Waste Management.
What's In It For Me...
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on RRSP, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation and Holidays.
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Overtime Status: Exempt
Job Field: Operations