HSBC Business Project Manager in British Columbia, Canada
Employment Type: 6 Months Fixed Term Contract
Change Portfolio Managers are responsible to lead and manage transformational changes within the Retail Banking and Wealth Management business. They are typically responsible for the end-to-end delivery of one or more standalone projects or a workstream of a larger project or program, proactively balancing scope, schedule, budget, risks, outcomes and benefits. The roleholder has responsibility for defining and planning the program, managing mobilization, controlling execution and managing implementation, change and benefits realization. They are responsible for deploying against the program standards and framework requirements. The roleholder works closely with business management and Head Office functions to ensure alignment of their project with the wider change portfolio and the Group Strategy, Values and Behaviors. The roleholder is directly and actively managing a sub-set of RBWM projects/changes aligned to financial crime risk management and other regulatory compliance requirement.
Principal Accountabilities: Key activities and decision making areas
Impact on the Business
- Plans effectively around delivery constraints and optimizes the plan to maximize benefits and minimize risk. Develops the plan within constraints, considering the delivery approach, key milestones and dependencies within the plan, requirements and scope, effort and resources, budgets and quality.
- Ensures the baselined scope, requirements, benefits, schedule and budget are managed as outlined in project frameworks. Identifies and intervenes where there is slippage and variance from plan
- Proactively monitors project execution to effectively identify risks/issues/dependencies as they arise throughout the project lifecycle. Takes ownership of critical issues and ensures resolution within agreed timescales and implements mitigating plans against identified risks and issues. Escalates when needed according to governance structure (remaining calm, knowing when to escalate, escalates with possible solutions).
- Collaborates and builds positive stakeholder and business partner relationships providing regular updates to resolve high priority issues affecting the project
- Obtains buy-in from the project sponsor, Steering Committee and other business partner stakeholders for all key project plans, commitments, and changes including requirements, quality assurance plans, budget, schedule, and scope changes
- Analyses management reports, and derives insights from it to drive the right business decisions
- Sets the pace and operating rhythm, driving a culture of achievement and ensures pace by identifying and removing barriers to project success.
- Keeps focus on the medium and long term goals and the Group’s values particularly when under short term pressure
- Manages change and implementation within the business to ensure the change lands well and sticks, contributing to benefits realization
- Assess stakeholder satisfaction and capture feedback
Manages project closure and handover to the business
Customers / Stakeholders
Work with business management and executive to achieve buy-in for the recommended solution and its implementation approach, to manage the impact of change and to ensure benefits realization
- Promotes and prioritizes decisions or actions according to customer needs, encouraging others to do the same
- Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets
- Strengthen Stakeholder Relationships. Uses relationship management skills/tools to responsibly influence decisions and stakeholder advocacy
- Proactively interact with its delivery partners (HOST) to understand dependencies, bottlenecks, current state and go forward opportunities.
Deliver fair outcomes for our customers and ensure own conduct maintains the orderly and transparent operation of financial markets.
Leadership & Teamwork
Identifies and shares the resource requirements of the project, to the team lead requesting the appropriate skill set and/or experience
- Ensures good project induction and orientation – i.e. the team understand the project context, structure/content, stakeholder importance and how this links to RBWM strategy
- Defines high level responsibilities and objectives for members of their project team and ensure the individuals are being used in accordance with their skills and resource request
- Collaborates with global/regional/local RBWM/Business Performance teams to ensure commonality of approach and consistency of solutions.
- Challenge the status quo, be committed to ongoing learning, and continually raise the bar in terms of individual, team, and enterprise business performance.
- Individuals are responsible for their own effectiveness, development and results.
- Support achievement of the HSBC vision, Values, goals and culture in personal behavior, actions and decision making.
- Take personal responsibility for understanding and agreeing performance expectations, completing the necessary mandatory training and developing the levels of capability and competence needed to be effective in the role.
- Contribute to team development, effectiveness and success by sharing knowledge and good practice, working collaboratively with others to create a productive, diverse and supportive working environment.
Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Operational Effectiveness & Control
Produce a well-defined project plan, identifying the key milestones and assigning responsibilities/resources
- Communicates the plan to stakeholders
- Develops and/or reviews estimates and estimating assumptions for the project’s schedule, effort, and cost using established estimating models, best practices, and past experience
- Mobilizes the project team and allocates tasks and roles
- Provides timely reports on project status, risks and issues, evaluating project performance based on management information
- Manages and reports on the project budget, acting on any variance
- Drives a culture of achievement and ensure pace by identifying and removing barriers to project success
- Maintains project change control, ensuring any changes to baseline are managed through change request and all impacts are considered
- Promotes and takes accountability for project quality; identifies opportunities to improve delivery and oversees the governance process to reduce risk and ensure effective and timely decisions are taken
- Ensures project team follow quality assurance processes, frameworks and methodologies to ensure the common high performance approach
- Ensures governance processes and decisions are applied consistently.
- Plans and executes regular tollgates
- Ensure that all employees are aware of and effectively identify and manage applicable money laundering (ML), terrorist financing (TF), sanctions and reputational risks.
Complete other responsibilities, as assigned. Major Challenges
Pace of change and number of related initiatives happening at the same time
- Management and control of one or more projects with ambitious goals and high change requirements
- Defining the approach and dealing with complex requirements and unique projects – often one off initiatives
- Management of stakeholders and sponsors
- Achieving benefits (cost reduction, revenue increase, strategic goals) set out in the business case
- The jobholder must have the capacity to articulate the case for investments and alternatives in the language of business to facilitate the Change agenda of the Bank.
Effectively directing and controlling the activities of a not clearly defined pool of resources which are spread across the organization and not under the direct control of the jobholder or direct senior management
The incumbent will not be subject to close supervision, and will be expected to exercise independent initiative and judgment in proactively overcoming obstacles to success, dealing with uncertainty and changing circumstances, such as interdependencies, opportunities or risks. He / she will be expected to adopt an agile and flexible approach to work and an outstanding level of professionalism and conduct
The job is a major point of contact between the business and HOST. The incumbent works independently and has high level of flexibility to consult with business at the Senior Management level. Being an Individual Contributor, he/she will need to have the ability to work closely with and get support from HOST and other Head Office functions locally and in some cases regionally and globally.
Management of Risk
Ensure compliance of both general and anti-money laundering and anti-terrorist financing (AML/ATF) compliance controls as well as operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- The incumbent will also continually reassess the operational risks and likelihood of operational risk occurring. This will be achieved by reviewing risks associated with the role and inherent in the business, taking account of changing global economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new processes. Effective and timely remedial action should be evidenced
- Promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Group Programs and regional/local programs/projects must be managed in accordance with the Group Controls Framework and with relevant GSM/FIMs.
Observation of Internal Controls
Maintains HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators.
Maintain and ensure due observance of HSBC Internal Control Standards, including the timely implementation of recommendations made by internal / external auditors and external regulators. To implement the Group Compliance policy locally by managing compliance risk in liaison with the Head of Group Compliance, Regional Compliance Officer, Area Compliance Officer or Local Compliance Officer, ensuring adequate compliance resources are in place and training is provided, fostering a compliance culture and optimizing relations with regulators.
Excellent understanding of business frameworks, methodologies and best practice techniques
- Understanding of HSBC Group structures, processes and objectives
- Very strong knowledge of the external environment – regulatory, political, competitors etc.
Understanding of the delivery large global organizations– global mindset, understanding of delivery partners etc.
Proven ability to work across various functions and business lines whilst maintaining a global perspective
- Demonstration of commerciality with strong financial acumen
- Proven ability to work with senior stakeholders and business sponsors
- Evidence of ability to make key strategic decisions
- Delivery of large scale complex programs at pace,
- Strong people and team management experience
Proven implementation, change management and benefits realization experience
Preferred Previous operating knowledge of financial crime and regulatory compliance
- Process Re-engineering
- Risk and Issues Management
- Global Mind-set
- Customer Empathy
- Decision Making
- Lead Self and Others
- Business Analysis and Design
- Business Case and Benefits Realization
- Change and Implementation Management
- Financial and Budget Management
- Tracking, Reporting and Governance
- Stakeholder Management
- Impactful communication
- Resource and Team Management
- Delivery at Pace
- Embracing change
- Achieving excellence
- Problem solving and Critical Thinking
Innovation and Idea Management
Qualifications and Accreditations
Undergraduate or postgraduate degree in Science, Business Administration or a related field.
- Has or is actively working towards Project Management Professional designation.
- Minimum 8-10 years of experience and skills in project management, process reengineering, business consulting or financial analysis for financial institutions would be preferred.
Job: *Project Management
Title: Business Project Manager
Location: Canada-British Columbia-Vancouver
Requisition ID: 000092EN